Vol. 19 Nbr. 2, June 2006
- ICM--keeping our members in touch: ICM President Karlene Davis reports from her visit to the World Health Assembly, Geneva, Switzerland, and on progress towards the 2008 ICM congress in Glasgow.
- World Health Day and the World Health Report 2006: "working together for health': The World Health Organization has focused this year on the crucial need for high quality health workers to take forward work towards its global goals.
- Two international conferences explore the issue of human resources for global health: 'resourcing global health' and 'mobilising the African diaspora' were topics that drew worldwide attendance to Glasgow, Scotland, and London, England. .
- 'Off the shelf and into action'--the ICM pilot project on training of midwives in HIV care: detailed planning and stakeholder involvement are key elements in this important ICM initiative, which is led by Nester T Moyo, ICM Programme Manager.
- Waterbirth--an international overview: Dianne Garland, a freelance UK-based midwife lecturer, spoke at the ICM Brisbane Congress and now gives an update on the practice of waterbirth around the world.
- 'Motivation for our work is the health and well-being of women and families in Central Europe': ICM Board member Andrea Stiefel writes about the midwives' associations and recent advances for midwifery in 'Central Europe--an active region within ICM'.
- Protecting the autonomy of midwifery in Paraguay: ICM and members' support is crucial: Wilfrida Sosa and Miriam Isabel Yegros de Ortiz, Asociacion de Obstetras del Paraguay, welcome international support in their struggle for professional recognition.
- Networking at the ICM Brisbane Congress led to individual action and lives saved in Afghanistan: Anne Marie Rennie, a midwife from Aberdeen, Scotland, met a colleague in Brisbane and was inspired to raise funds to help women and babies in need.
- Acting Director General in place at WHO.
- ICN identifies priorities for action in nursing shortage.
- Jeanne Raisler of ACNM.
- New publication on FGM from the RCN.
- Strong support for WHA resolution on strengthening nursing and midwifery.
- Caesarean section delivery and women's choice.
- New edition of the WHO Reproductive Health Library.
- New textbook on nursing and midwifery.
- Study shows Caesarean section linked with harm.
- The Innocenti Declaration 1990-2005.