Vol. 21 Nbr. 4, December 2008
> SIGN UP FREE
- ICM President Bridget Lynch sends 'greetings to the midwives of the world'.
- 'A passionate global advocate for women'.
- Interim ICM Board member for South American region.
- New discussion forum on midwifery, reproductive and women's health education.
- ICM Global Outreach meeting with members.
- Parliamentary 'Action on Maternal & Newborn Health'.
- 'Midwifery in the Philippines: 'a laudable service' but there are issues and challenges: Alice de la Gente, former President of the Integrated Midwives Association of the Philippines (IMAP), wrote about midwives' key healthcare role in this country.
- International Council on Women's Health Issues (ICOWHI) Conference held in Gabarone, Botswana, 9-11 July, 2008.
- Meeting the ICM Board: new and re-elected members form a dynamic group: June 2008 saw the establishment of an enhanced governance structure for the ICM: here some of the new Board members introduce themselves.
- Midwifery was widely celebrated in 2008--worldwide, and in countries' own special ways: this round-up concludes the reports from ICM members or local news sources on the International Day of the Midwife, and adds news of some additional activities.
- National Midwifery Week in the USA: midwives commit to being 'with women, for a lifetime': Melissa Garvey of the American College of Nurse Midwives describes some of the activities organised during 5-11 October, 2008, to promote midwifery.
- Changing practice with evidence--'active management of the third stage of labour': the Nursing & Midwifery Community for Making Pregnancy Safer, part of the Global Alliance for Nursing & Midwifery, held a virtual global discussion on AMTSL.
- 'Primary Health Care: Now More Than Ever'--the 2008 World Health Report.
- Global Campaign for Health Millenium Development Goals First Year report 2008.
- Midwife-led care beneficial compared with other models for childbearing women.
- 'Better statistics for better health for pregnant women and their babies': the Euro-Peristat Project.
- Human resources for maternal health: multi-purpose or specialist?
- Launch of the Global Library of Women's Medicine.
- 'A group frankly biased towards women': WHO round table on MDG5.
- 'Report Card' from UNICEF brings some hope.
- Making Pregnancy Safer 2007.
- New midwifery journal.