A number of new positon statements and items for discussion were on the agenda at the ICM Council meeting held in Brisbane in July. These included:
* Midwifery philosophy and model of care
* Midwifery, an autonomous profession
* Improving the ICM Journal 'International Midwifery'
* ICM action plan to empower midwives to assert their role in normal childbirth
* Midwifery care for women with complicated childbirth
* The health of woman and children in disasters
* The role of the midwife in physiological 3rd stage
* Proposed restructure of regions in Europe
* The midwife is the first choice of health care professional...